Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans or any other legally protected group.
Chief Executive Officer, HVHC
The Dartmouth Institute
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO), based in the program management office (PMO) at Dartmouth, is responsible for serving as the chief strategist and operational lead for the High Value Healthcare Collaborative (HVHC), a consortium of healthcare delivery systems working together to improve care, health, and costs of care by identifying, testing, and disseminating promising practice care models and payment reform alternatives. The CEO facilitates the membership-driven and led organization by offering guidance on direction, identifying opportunities for impact, implementing innovative activities and establishing a sustainability model for HVHC that capitalizes on the consortium of high-performing health systems. The program management office (PMO) supports HVHC with project coordination, data processing & analytics, outreach & dissemination, member relations & recruitment, IT & product development, communications and business operations (legal, IRB, finance). The PMO is comprised of approximately 30 personnel and is housed at the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy & Clinical Practice (TDI) in Hanover, NH and Portland, ME.
Skills & Knowledge
- Proven leadership ability; can motivate and inspire staff and members in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills
- Extremely customer-focused and relationship oriented
- Keeps calm under pressure and has ability to prioritize competing demands
- Diplomatically handles difficult personalities and resolves conflicts
- Ability to translate long-term goals into actionable steps and drive toward successful results on time and within budget
- Progressive, creative, innovative thinker with focus on transformative change
- Smart, curious, loves to learn; comes up to speed quickly in new topic areas
- Excellent analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities
- General understanding of the regulations and laws related to data sharing and security among unrelated health care entities
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population
- 10 years senior management experience for company or business unit; prior EVP/CEO experience a plus
- Experience working closely with executive level stakeholders, internally and externally
- Experience in business development, customer negotiations
- Experience developing and executing strategic plans, overseeing budgets
- Experience managing large complex projects and deliverables
- Experience motivating volunteers and influencing stakeholders who are not direct reports
- Familiarity with data, research, related technology
- Experience in healthcare delivery environments with preference for direct service provision settings
- Experience soliciting support and managing to budgets
- Experience with ACOs, bundled payments, and other payment reform efforts a plus
- Experience preparing and executing grants including serving in an investigator role a plus
- Experience with healthcare predictive risk/cost modeling, value-based measures a plus
- Experience publishing in the peer-reviewed literature a plus
- Graduate degree
- Training in a health care-related field, business, or technology
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Department Contact for Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is funded by a grant. Continuation is based upon available funds.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
|Key Accountabilities || |
Strategy and Operations
- Oversees the resources and infrastructure necessary to lead HVHC to achieve its mission to:
- Measure, innovate, test, and continuously improve value-based care;
- Rapidly disseminate and facilitate adoption of proven high value care models across HVHC members and beyond; and,
- Advocate for policy and payment models that support sustainable high value healthcare.
- Serves as ambassador for HVHC , presenting at conferences, promoting the organization and leveraging opportunities for strategic relationships.
- Supports HVHC Board and oversees governance of Board Committees, including Discovery & Dissemination, Data Governance, Scientific, Advocacy & Affinity Groups, and Finance Committees.
- Develops and executes HVHC strategic plan and reports progress against plan to Board and Executive Committee.
- Establishes strong relationships and communication strategies with the Board, Executive Committee, strategic partners, funders, federal agencies.
- Monitors HVHC and PMO performance, sets goals, and reports to the Board and Executive Committee periodically on progress.
- Conducts member retention and member recruitment to expand sites, enhance recognition and reputation and secure funding for the PMO and HVHC activities.
- Articulates and delivers on strong value proposition for current and prospective members.
- Manages PMO operations, including project coordination, data processing & analytics, outreach & dissemination, member relations & recruiting, IT & product development, and business operations (legal, IRB , finance).
- Oversees and evaluates the work of CEO's direct reports: Chief Operating Officer, Chief Technology Officer, Analytic Director, Outreach & Dissemination Director.
Research and Analytics
( NOTE : A CEO without experience in these activities may need to engage another individual to undertake these roles with the approval of the HVHC Executive Committee.)
- Manages proposal preparation to foundations, the federal government, donors and other sponsors.
- Solicits engagement of members in externally sponsored activities.
- Oversees exploration of claims data, information from the patient electronic health record, patient reported information and other sources to implement innovative care models and reduce variation across systems.
- Oversees IRB , DUA , data security and other research compliance requirements.
- Coordinates preparation of reports to external sponsors, professional manuscripts and lay press writings on behalf of HVHC .
|-- ||Performs other duties as assigned. |