Position Title: Practice Administrator
Reports Directly To: Director, Practice Administration
Reports Indirectly To: Medical Director
Directly Supervises: Medical Center Support staff
SUMMARY: The Practice Administrator will oversee office operations to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of medical practice operations. The incumbent is responsible for the overall coordination, planning, financial management, evaluation and monitoring of the day to day operations of the medical centers, including hands on participation in all medical office support activities. Primary responsibilities are divided into three major categories: Administrative (Financial), Personnel Management and Work Load Management. The Practice Administrator is charged with collaborating with the Medical Director to ensure goal alignment with EHMG and the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Administrative (Financial)
- Responsible for ensuring attainment of revenue targets for medical center practice with a focus on utilizing master scheduling templating and review of patient scheduling reports. Collaborates and communicates with Medical Director relative to financial productivity performance for Medical Center on monthly basis.
- Responsible for maximizing reimbursement for the practice by coordinating Centricity and Medical Manager Work flow processes to capture all provider services. Works directly with Centricity team, and Director, Practice Administrator.
- Oversees accuracy of registration, insurance verification, and coding and charge reconciliation.
- Creates, maintains and updates Medical Manager Providers’ templates and appointments calendar according to EHMG productivity requirements.
- Responsible for correction of all rejections and denials entered.
- In conjunction with the Medical Director, Director, Practice Administration and Central Accounting, develops the EHMG annual operating budget.
- In conjunction with the Medical Director develops community budget with Finance Director and Executive Director.
- Prepares annual medical center capital budget.
- Reviews monthly reports from Hyperion, JDEdwards and EHMG Management with Medical Director for both community and EHMG budgets.
- Prepares and directs monthly report on variances and necessary action plans to Medical Director and Director, Practice Administration. Works with Director, Practice Administration and EHMG finance on overall financial reporting.
- Along with Medical Director, meets regularly with Community Directors to report on the status of the Medical Group.
- Responsible for the financial management of the practice, keeping all expenses within budget, including supplies and staffing. Reviews budget performance variance reports on monthly basis.
- Prepares expense forms, reviews and codes all payables including corporate Pcard and American Express cards.
- In conjunction with the Director, Medical Staff Recruitment and Marketing, develops strategies and coordinates marketing activities and events to increase utilization of the medical center including responsibility for monthly reporting of marketing outcomes.
- In conjunction with community AED and Corporate Legal Counsel, develops and manages relationships with specialty practices which rent space within the community, according to established guidelines.
- Personnel Management
- Directs and manages medical center support staff to optimize work flow processes for efficiency, standardization and provider productivity. Collaborates with Medical Director for managing provider productivity and scheduling.
- Manages daily activities of front and back office, including responsibilities for continuous operational improvements.
- Manages employee recruitment and retention, employee relations, and all other personnel actions for the medical center. Hires, trains, motivates, educates and disciplines support staff.
- Sets goals and conducts reviews annually for medical support staff. Conducts 90 day review and goal setting for new hires.
- Participates in the hiring and orientation of new physicians and mid-level providers in conjunction with the Director of Recruitment and Marketing.
- Responsible for maintaining medical providers’ PTO and CME hours and coordinating to Medical Manager Template.
- Oversees medical center lab compliance and proficiencies.
- Coordinates and organizes payroll for medical center.
- Coordinates training of staff and providers on coding and billing issues with the Managers of Reimbursement and Coding and Centricity Team.
- Work Load Management
- Manages work flow processes including adherence to best practice standards for medical support staff to drive financial, quality and employee engagement performance.
- In cooperation with the medical director, prepares, coordinates and distributes monthly office calendar to include the on call schedule, specialists’ schedules, time off, hospital, CC and RGT schedules.
- Maintains the calendar, reviews and directs the mail and takes calls for the Medical Director.
- Participates in the development and implementation of Medical Center policies and procedures.
- Acts as a patient advocate and handles incoming concerns to ensure maximum patient satisfaction.
- Coordinates interactions and meetings between the medical center and Continuing Care and other campus departments, as well as with local hospitals and outside health care agencies.
- Actively participates in monthly Practice Administrator meetings.
- Performs specified audits, such as lab compliance, in accordance with the Erickson Compliance Plan to ensure compliance with EHMG policies and procedures. Develops and implements corrective action plans with the Director, Practice Administration, as required.
- Assists EHMG Credentialing Associate with the maintenance of medical staff credentialing files.
- Maintains and organizes distribution of pagers, cell phones for EHMG providers.
- In conjunction with Medical Director, prepares and actively participates in weekly/monthly medical staff meetings.
- Plans, organizes and leads monthly staff meeting.
- Attends interdepartmental meetings, such as RAC and Transitions meetings.
- Responsible for the preparation and dissemination of Incident Reports as outlined in EHMG Policy and Procedure Manual and by Risk Management Responsible for the preparation and dissemination of Incident Reports as outlined in EHMG Policy and Procedure Manual.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A qualified candidate will possess strong leadership and organizational skills, excellent communication and interpersonal skills and business skills with a strong emphasis in the financial oversight of a medical practice. The candidate will possess strong leadership skills, excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a strong emphasis in experience in the financial oversight of a medical practice. The candidate must also have detailed knowledge on practice management issues, including CPT, ICD-9 and HCPCs coding for primary care; medical records requirements; human resources; budgeting; OSHA; CLIA; insurance rules; HCFA regulations; compliance; and other applicable state and federal laws and regulations. Spreadsheet and word processing knowledge (Microsoft Office) is a plus.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The candidate will have a B.A. degree in Business Administration or equivalent. The candidate may substitute additional experience for up to 4 years of education requirement. Minimum of three years experience managing a highly automated medical office, including front and back office, preferably in primary care. Prior experience must include billing and financial management with budget responsibility.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: All medical center support staff.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.