| Summary: Provides direction, management and leadership for the compliance, finance, treasury, bank-ing, accounting, auditing, financial reporting, strategic budgeting and planning, Information Technology, and Materials Management functions. This position interacts frequently with the Board of Trustees and is the primary management contact for the Finance Committee and Audit & Compliance Committee of the Board of Trustees. In addition, this position has primary responsibility for financial reporting to residents. |
Essential Functions: • Overall responsibility for all aspects of finance, treasury, banking, accounting, auditing, budgeting, financial reporting, Information Technology and Materials Management functions for Northern Virginia Health Center Commission (NVHCC), Birmingham Green Adult Care Residence (BGACR), Birmingham Green Assisted Living, Inc. (BGALI), Birmingham Green Adult Disability Services, Inc. (BGADSI), and Birmingham Green Foundation (BGF).
• Develops and oversees the development and implementation of internal control policies, guidelines and procedures for the finance, Information Technology and Materials Management functions.
• Establishes and maintains financial records systems in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Has final accountability for the preparation of financial statements, financial reports, special analyses and information reports.
• Prepares and monitors conformance with annual budgets and long-term financial projections and makes recommendations for corrective action when appropriate.
• Provides strategic consultation and long-term planning recommendations to management and the Board of Trustees on a broad range of issues, including, but not limited to, financial issues. • Maintains relationships with bankers, investment managers, bondholders and related outside parties. • Has final responsibility for tax reporting and third-party cost reporting.
• Prepares reports required to comply with debt covenants.
• Has final responsibility for the audit of the financial records of the organization and attests to the fair presentation of financial statements in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles applied on a consistent basis, with duties including, but not limited to, signing auditors’ and bondholders’ management representation letters and bond covenant compliance certificates. • Manages cash flow, invests funds within investment guidelines, and monitors performance of fund managers consistent with best practices for the treasury function.
• Annually reviews the adequacy of insurance coverage and maintains appropriate insurance coverage.
• Has responsibility for financial and contractual affairs related to third-party management contracts.
• Reviews, recommends changes to and signs on behalf of the organization all contracts with third parties except those requiring the signature of the President and Chief Executive Officer.
• When requested, provides back up to and performs limited duties of the President and Chief Executive Officer in his or her absence. • Performs in a professional manner and with integrity promoting the mission and values of the organization.
• Demonstrates knowledge and commitment to the Quality Pledge and to the “Advancing Excellence” program.
• Exercises discretion and independent judgment. • Takes responsibility for personal growth and learning. • Abides by departmental, human resources and company policies and procedures. • Provides leadership by being a role model and maintains effective communication with and feedback from employees in all departments. • Mentors and assists employees with personal growth, training, and job skills. • Encourages positive employee behavior and performance, provides constant feedback including timely completion of performance appraisals, and rewards employees appropriately. • Interviews candidates for employment and makes hiring and termination decisions after consultation with Human Resources. • Delegates responsibilities to employees adequately to ensure effective and appropriate accomplishment of tasks as needed. • Participates in the development of corporate goals and objectives, contributes extensively toward achievement of same, and positively contributes to inter-departmental quality initiatives and communications. • Monitors trends in field and innovative methods and implements or recommends new programs to insure the highest quality services in the future. • Performs additional job duties as assigned and directed.