GENERAL SUMMARY: Reports to Practice Administrator and Lab Director and is responsible for the overall operations of the laboratory. In doing so coordinates and directs the activities of personnel engaged in collecting, testing, and analyzing blood, urine and other bodily fluids in order to provide diagnostic information to physicians/providers. Conducts, supervises and trains employees in laboratory procedures. Ensures provision of high quality services in compliance with department, clinic, and third-party requirements. Communicates relevant issues to physicians/providers. Responsible for ensuring adequate staffing, supplies and properly functioning equipment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates and directs the activities of personnel engaged in collecting, testing and analyzing blood, urine and other bodily fluids in order to provide diagnostic information to physicians/providers.
- Ensures quality of laboratory test results by ensuring that QA and QC procedures are followed and that the lab is enrolled in Proficiency Testing Programs. Maintains an active quality assurance program, documents annual competency assessment of staff, provides continuing education for staff, and reviews testing results to ensure quality and evaluates inter-lab quality control reports.
- Monitors test systems to ensure that systems are functioning properly, technical problems are resolved in a timely manner, and remedial/corrective action is taken when necessary.
- Ensures laboratory testing policies and procedures comply with current state and federal regulations. Establishes or modifies procedures as needed to ensure quality and cost-effectiveness of test results.
- Responsible for managing the human resources of the department. In doing so, interviews, recommends hiring of, orients, trains, assigns work to, evaluates the performance of and, when necessary, counsels and recommends remedial training, continuing education, or termination action. Ensures that corrective action occurs when procedures are not followed. Interacts with other department heads and the Practice Administrator in resolving complex employee relation problems. Provides direct supervision if required for high complexity testing.
- Maintains adequate level of supplies and equipment in operating condition.
- Maintains knowledge of Medicare guidelines, CPT coding and other third party issues as they relate to reimbursement for tests performed.
- Identifies and evaluates new tests, procedures, equipment and instruments for the laboratory.
- Analyzes feasibility, makes recommendations, and implements as requested.
- Responds to inquiries from physicians/providers, clinical staff, and hospital and reference laboratory personnel, and modifies procedures to resolve problems as necessary.
- In response to work load demands and availability of laboratory personnel, assists staff in collecting laboratory specimens from patients, completes necessary forms and labels, and conducts waived, moderate, or high complexity testing and analyses according to established techniques and methods.
- Serves as OSHA compliance officer. Implements and maintains OSHA regulations. Conducts annual training program for clinical staff and orientation for all new employees.
- Maintains knowledge of trends and developments in the field by reading appropriate articles, journal, and related material, and by attending seminars, conferences, etc. Recommends and approves continuing education programs for laboratory staff.
- Conducts special projects and studies as directed by the Lab Director, physicians, or Practice Administrator.
- Supports and abides by departmental and clinic policies and procedures.
- Represents the Charleston Cancer Center in a professional manner reflecting the mission and philosophy of the Center with all work related activities.
- Ensures laboratory is adequately staffed on a daily basis to ensure quality and timely patient care.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.