Satellite Healthcare is a successful, nonprofit organization that has improved the lives of people living with kidney disease since 1973. We earn our national reputation for excellent patient care each day by offering a complete range of dialysis therapy choices, personalized clinical services, and unparalleled wellness education.
Satellite Healthcare provides expert, personalized kidney care at over 80 centers across the U.S. as well as at acute dialysis locations in California and Texas. Learn more about Satellite Healthcare at www.satellitehealth.com.
The Home Dialysis Registered Nurse has responsibility for coordinating the services related to home modalities including patient training, follow up care, primary nursing, education and promotion of home treatment modalities to patients and staff.
The essential functions listed are not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned. All employees must work in accordance with Satellite's I-CARE Standards.
1. Demonstrates sound judgment and skill in problem resolution and follow-through. Demonstrates understanding and tact in dealing with patients, physicians, visitors, family members, center personnel, and corporate staff. Recommends, in cooperation with the clinical manager, changes in procedures when new knowledge indicates such a need.
2. Knows and follows all Satellite Healthcare policies and procedures for infection prevention and control. Understands the hazards associated with failing to follow those procedures.
3. Understands basic renal function and the consequences of renal failure. Observes and records patients' responses to renal failure and its treatments. Performs thorough patient assessments as evidenced by documentation.
4. Recognizes changes in dialysis patients and makes necessary adjustments in therapy with oversight from experienced home therapies dialysis nurse. Appropriately responds to all emergencies and notifies the physician when necessary and seeks direction.
5. Develops, implements, and evaluates appropriate therapeutic care plans for patients, demonstrating a basic understanding of the treatment modalities available. Utilizes the team approach when assessing patient needs and developing a plan of care by conferring with patient, family, nurse, physicians, social worker, and dietitian when appropriate.
6. Documents in a clear, concise, and thorough manner. Completes all paperwork accurately and in a timely manner.
7. Administers medications when ordered. Understands and teaches principles of a safe dosage in ESRD, reason for giving medication and possible side effects. Ensures that medications are given properly and as ordered, and documented appropriately.
8. Obtains laboratory specimens as ordered and performs routine tests.
9. Demonstrates an understanding of the implications of common lab results as they apply to ESRD patients. Confers with the experienced home therapies dialysis nurse, dietitian and physician about abnormal findings.
10. Coordinates and participates in the continuity of care of the patients by ensuring regular follow ups with the health care team.
11. Demonstrates personal accountability for expanding knowledge of nephrology nursing and related skills.
12. Understands legal consequences of nursing actions, both the immediate and long-term.
13. Actively seeks knowledge from experienced lDT members regarding quality assessment and performance improvement (QAPI) initiatives.
14. Participates in CPR as needed.
15. Strives to provide excellence in the delivery of dialysis home care therapies with oversight from the experienced home therapies dialysis nurse.
16. Ensures that billing information is available to the Accounts Receivable Office in a timely manner.
17. Helps maintain a neat and clean environment.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Promotes a teamwork approach by offering Information, advice, and assistance to all staff members in a positive, courteous, and cooperative manner.
2. Communicates significant information to the appropriate team members in a clear, concise, and accurate manner. Participates in self and/or peer evaluation.
3. Contributes to harmonious and constructive working relationships with all staff members to promote a positive and productive atmosphere.
4. Ensures the confidentiality of patient and employee information.
5. Understands and uses communication techniques:
a. Greets patients by name
b. Speaks only English in patient care areas unless translating
c. Listens to understand, not judge
d. Focuses on the message being sent
e. Uses reflective listening
f. Positively acknowledges the patient for sharing thoughts/feelings
g. Manages conflict in a positive way
h. Allows patients to vent appropriately
i. Acknowledges problems/situations from the patient's point of view
k. Apologizes (without blame)
6. Demonstrates competency in basic computer skills and navigation through various Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook programs.
7. Promotes home therapies and other WellBound programs to prospective patients and families as well as admitting physicians.
1. Participates in, and/or develops continuing education on home therapies in collaboration with experienced home therapies dialysis nurse.
2. Looks for opportunities to develop expertise in home modalities.
3. Participates In research studies and/or protocols as directed.
4. Participates in peer group meetings and problem solving.
1. Accurately assesses patient's readiness to learn. Plans and implements appropriate teaching methods for each patient and evaluate the patient's learning.
2. Demonstrates the ability to effectively teach all therapies offered with collaboration from experienced home therapies dialysis nurse.
3. Acts as a resource to hospital staff in order to provide continuity of patient care.