Our legacy of unsurpassed patient care and unceasing mission to integrate high-tech medical research with clinical operations has led to our prestigious standing as one of the top 10 hospitals in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. As a premier health care institution dedicated to advancing health worldwide, UCSF Medical Center can also be the best place to advance and shape your career.
The medical center's employees are one of the most important reasons why we are recognized as one of the nation's best hospitals. To work at UCSF Medical Center is to be part of an institution that provides the highest caliber of care to patients; a nurturing, dynamic and team-oriented atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
Our ophthalmologists provide consultation, evaluation and treatment of ophthalmological problems through general and subspecialty practices at UCSF Medical Center. We have the largest surgical eye care program in Northern California, which includes refractive surgery (laser vision correction), cataract and cornea surgery, neuro-ophthalmology, plastic surgery and vitreoretinal surgery. Our other areas of expertise are glaucoma diagnosis and treatment, ocular inflammatory disease (uveitis), ocular oncology, and diagnosis and treatment of retinal degeneration.
Routine vision care is offered at the Comprehensive Ophthalmology Clinic and the Optical Dispensary. This service is conveniently located near primary care providers in the Ambulatory Care Center (ACC). Here, we offer examinations, eyeglass prescriptions, contact lens services, optical dispensing and management of eye diseases by experienced professionals.
The Director, Ophthalmology, has service line responsibility for the UCSF Ophthalmology Institute and ophthalmology practices as well as operational and financial management responsibilities for both technical and professional revenues. This position assures that the highest quality clinical services are delivered cost effectively and are aligned with medical center, federal, state and local regulations. The Director will be responsible for the department's academic affairs working in conjunction with the Academic Finance Director and Academic Operations Director.
This position also seeks to create a high level of coordination of care and customer service throughout all UCSF services and access points, yielding positive patient, physician and employee satisfaction. Quality will be emphasized as part of the professional and organizational culture. Finally, this leadership position works to build strong and collaborative relationships with academic, clinical and research departments, assuring that the interests of all stakeholders within the UCSF Ophthalmology Department and Institute are incorporated into relevant strategic plans and operating objectives to maintain unity of purpose. This position is responsible for the entire Ophthalmology Institute and will lead and manage seven staff (Practice Mgr, Nurse Manager, Ophthalmic Supervisor, Concierge Analyst, AP Analyst, Diagnostic Tech and Diagnostic Coordinator).
Leadership Responsibilities - 35%
Operations, Finance and Human Resources - 30%
- Working with Medical Center management, Department Chair, and the faculty and staff of the UCSF Ophthalmology Department, pursues strategies and tactics to advance the clinical services of the UCSF Ophthalmology Institute and practices
Academic Support - 25%
- Working with Chair and Medical Center leadership, directs the development of the Ophthalmology Quality program
- Working with staff and faculty, identifies, addresses, and documents policies in regard to relevant issues related to outpatient and inpatient care, such as facilitation of the move of outpatient cases to inpatient care whenever necessary. Assure internal policies and external regulations are followed across the clinic organization in regards to billing and coding practices and cash handling
- Leads and directs ophthalmology outpatient and diagnostic health care services , overseeing multiple administrative and health care professionals, including RNs, Supervisors, Faculty, Technicians, Practice Managers and others involved in the care of ophthalmology patients. Motivates managers and staff to seek excellence in all areas of work performance.
- In collaboration with research and academic departments and specialty practices, designs and implements an infrastructure that supports clinical research protocols
Other Responsibilities - 10%
- To assist the Chair and the faculty in growing programs which are strategically important. Help the faculty and staff manage the program so that it has a positive contribution for both the Department and the Medical Center
The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations is required.
- Minimum five years experience working with a physician group practice managing through influence and collaboration
- Previous general management experience in a complex, multi-faceted health care setting (seven to ten years)
- Previous leadership experience in ophthalmology clinical care
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Experience in the areas of strategic planning, financial management, program development, quality improvement, facilities management and project management
- Significant knowledge of applicable federal and state laws and regulations relating to the healthcare industry
- Previous supervisory experience and experience managing human resource issues, particularly change management and union/labor relations
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues and trends that will affect the future of ophthalmology care
- Strong clinic / center management experience, with progressive expertise in practice management, scheduling, customer-service methods, incident reporting, regulatory compliance, accreditation requirements, information technology, and the policies, principles, best practices, and standards involved with effective clinic / center administration
- Excellent skills in successfully managing clinic / center administration functions. Skills to develop strategic plans, create benchmarks, integrate systems and fiscal management
- Excellent and advanced managerial skills and human resources management knowledge, including staff deployment, resource utilization, budgeting and financial management, quality improvement, and program planning and implementation
- Excellent and advanced communications skills to convey complex information clearly and concisely to all levels of staff, management, and outside agencies, with the ability to motivate, influence, and persuade others
- Strong knowledge of relevant healthcare and clinic operations information technology, including billing systems and patient care workflows and processes
- Strong knowledge of relevant regulatory requirements, as well as related legislative, accreditation, licensing and compliance environments
- The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations is required
- Master's degree in business, health care administration or related field
- Physician practice management or clinic experience
- Clinical training and background
Living Pride Standards
- Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center's values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
- Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
- Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
- Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
- Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
- Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
- Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
- Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Further information about the University of California, San Francisco, is available at diversity.ucsf.edu. UCSF seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.