Providence is calling a Cook (On-Call, Rotating/Variable Shift) to Providence Milwaukie Hospital in Milwaukie, OR.
In this position you will:
- Provide courteous, friendly food service to a variety of user groups including employees, visitors, physicians, and patients.
- Prepare hot and cold food items using a variety of prep and production cooking equipment, following scratch recipes and department specifications.
- Follow the recipes as required but if serving on a retail cooking line or as a room service cook will often be asked to tailor individual items according to special customer and/or patient requests.
- Comply with all hospital and department standards and must become fully knowledgeable about, and compliant with all specific regulatory requirements in food service and in a healthcare environment.
- Use experience and knowledge of proper food handling techniques to prep items used in their area.
- Serve all food service guests and be responsible to set up, stock, and clean service areas.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Valid County Health Department Food Handlers Certificate -or- ServSafe Certification is at the time of hire
- 3 to 4 years working in a high volume, full service restaurant or institutional food service facility working in a production cooking capacity
- Solid working knowledge of various cooking techniques and processes and the ability to apply these methods in a kitchen with heavy equipment constraints due to volume and capacity issues
- 2 to 3 years of experience working from scratch recipes and experience prepping and portioning items needed in the production process
- Experience working successfully in a team environment to accomplish common goals
- Ability to read, speak and fully understand English in order to follow exacting recipes and standards
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- 12 to 18 months of formal culinary education/degree
- ServeSafe Certification, recommended within 1 year of employment
- Candidates with more years of diversified cooking experience which includes any combination of the following positions: line/grill/broiler cook, production cook, soup or saute cook. (12 to 18 months of formal culinary education may be substituted for part of this requirement.)
- Preference given to candidates that have 2 to 3 years of experience assisting with recipe development and the creation of daily specials for all service/meal periods in a large food operation
- 1 to 2 years of experience as production "lead" or experience working in other leadership capacity in a full service restaurant or large institutional food service facility
- Experience in a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) -or- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) production facility
- 2 years of experience using food production software (i.e. computrition) -and- ability to update recipes and production methods in the data base
About Providence in Oregon
As the largest healthcare system and largest private employer in Oregon, Providence offers exceptional work environments and unparalleled career opportunities.
The Providence Experience begins each time our patients or their families have an encounter with a Providence team member and continues throughout their visit or stay. Whether you provide direct or indirect patient care, we want our patients to feel that they are in a welcoming place where they can be comfortable and free from anxiety. Our employees create the Providence Experience through simple, caring behaviors such as acknowledging and welcoming each visitor, introducing ourselves and Providence, addressing people by name, providing the duration of estimated wait times and updating frequently if timelines change, explaining situations in a way that puts patients at ease, carefully listening to their concerns, and always thanking people for trusting Providence for their healthcare needs. At Providence, our quality vision is simple,
"Providence will provide the best care and service to every person, every time."
Providence is consistently ranked among the top 100 companies to work for in Oregon. It is also home to two of our award-winning Magnet medical centers. Providence hospitals and clinics are located in numerous areas, ranging from the Columbia Gorge to the wine country to sunny southern Oregon to charming coastal communities to the urban setting of Portland. If you want a vibrant lifestyle while working with a team highly committed to the art of healing, choose from our many options in Oregon.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Food Service
Req ID: 147477