The Louis A. Johnson VA Medical Center is seeking a board certified staff urologist. Our surgery department is comprised of three general surgeons, one urologist, one gynecologist, one orthopedic surgeon, and one gastroenterologist. Contracted services are also provided by otolaryngologists and ophthalmologists.
~ Provide consultation in an outpatient clinic setting and on inpatient wards.
~ Perform inpatient and ambulatory surgical procedures.
~ Other duties as assigned.
Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday, 7:30 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.; however, subject to change, depending on the needs of the service/medical center. Night and weekend on-call responsibility on a rotating basis.
* U.S. citizenship.
* English language proficiency.
* Physical standards - All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required.
* Licensure and Registration - Current, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States or in the District of Columbia. The Physician must maintain a current registration to continue employment with the VA.
* Educational requirements - Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are:
* Schools of medicine holding regular institutional membership in the Association of American Medical Colleges for the year in which the degree was granted.
* Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted.
* Schools (including foreign schools) accepted by the licensing body of a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico), or in the District of Columbia as qualifying for full or unrestricted licensure.
* For residents, graduation from an approved medical school as described above is required.
* First-Year Residency (Internship) - Completed a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was competed. For a VA resident, the appropriate Deans Committee and Resident Review Board may recommend appointment on the basis of the candidate's acceptability for residency training. Approved residencies are:
* Those approved by the Council on Medical Education and Hospitals, American Medical Association, in the list published for the year the residency was completed, OR
* Other residencies or their equivalents which the Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training. The Board may determine that the residency requirement has been met if the candidate has completed 1 year of postgraduate education.
~ Successful completion of an accredited urology training program OR successful completion of equivalent training orexperience in urology.
~ Current Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification.
~ Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification OR the ability to attain such within ninety days of entering on duty.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Moderate Lifting (15-44 lbs); Light Lifting (under 15 lbs); Light Carrying (under 15 lbs); Straight Pulling (1-2 hour); Pushing (1-2 hours); Both hands required; Walking (4-6 hours); Standing (4-6 hours); Kneeling (1-2 hours); Repeated bending (1-2 hours); Both legs required: Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye t 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Hearing aid permitted. This position requires prolonged standing, sitting, bending, pushing, pulling and lifting. The position is inside and the worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other(Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists, Chiropractors, Copy of Current Basic Life Support Certification, Copy of Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification If Current)
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1587728.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
***Note -When uploading documents, Application, Current Basic Life Support Certification, and Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification (if current) are document type "Other".
To apply for this position, you MUST provide a COMPLETE Application Package which includes the following (failure to provide a complete application packet will result in you not being considered for referral to the selecting official).
1. Completed questionnaire (online or hard copy).
2. Properly completed, signed, and currently dated (within one month of submission to vacancy announcement) VA Form 10-2850, Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists, & Chiropractors. Link to application - https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-2850-fill_BAK.pdf. Please read ALL instructions and complete the application in its entirety.
3. Copy of final disposition(s)/outcomes(s) on any and all malpractice issues/cases.
4. Detailedresume, to include work schedule and hours worked per week, as well as "to" and "from" dates of employment.
5. Copy of Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
6. Copy of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification - IF current.
7. Copy of ECFMG certification - IF foreign medical graduate.
8. Copy of most recent SF 50, Notification of Personnel Action, that shows your status - IF current or former Federal civilian employee.
9. Copy of DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty" - IF prior military. Copy MUST show character of discharge.
10. Copy of letter from a VA Regional Office that shows percentage of disability - IF prior military and you have service-connected disability.
11. Properly completed OPM's Standard Form 15, Application for 10 Point Preference - IF prior military and you have a service-connected disability. Link to form - http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf.