| Physician Assistant (PA) primary responsibility is for completion of Compensation and Pension exams. |
* PA will perform Compensation and Pension exams according to guidelines and procedures and dictate notes according to time lines. This position will typically work-eight hour shifts
* PA reports directly to the Lead Physician in C and P
* PA is authorized to write medical orders on outpatients assigned to the facility for care
* Every order or prescription written by the PA will be within the parameters of their scope of practice. Other duties may include screening outpatients to determine need for further care, ordering diagnostic studies, carrying out health promotion and disease prevention activities, initiating and expediting requests for consultations and scheduling special tests and studies.
Work Schedule: M-F 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Saturdays as needed.
Functional Statement Title/#:
Physician Assistant Qualifications:
Basic Qualification Requirements:
Citizenship: Citizen of the United States.
English Language Proficiency: No person shall be appointed to direct patient-care position unless you are proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
Physical Requirements: Must pass a pre-employment physical.
Education or Training: The candidate must meet the following:
(1) Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; and
(2) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
(1) Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA.
(2) Recent PA graduates who are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) may be employed by VA on a temporary basis (38 U.S.C. 7405), for a period not to exceed two years, as provided in VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section G, Paragraph 5.
(3) If a PA's NCCPA certification is suspended, revoked or expires, the PA must be removed from the occupation which may result in termination of employment.
VA HANDBOOK 5005/78, PART II, APPENDIX G8. http://vaww1.va.gov/ohrm/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5005.pdf
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements:?, This position requires visual activity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires a combination of walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, bending, pulling, and pushing with potentially long periods of sitting. Transferring patients and objects may occasionally be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or during patient procedures and care. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. Use of fingers, both hands, and near vision is required.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Completed Online Questionnaire
- CV or Resume
- VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf (required). IF APPLYING AS A PHYSICAN ASSISTANT
- Proof of current certification, licensure or registration
- Unofficial transcript(s) - official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired.
- Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf).
Veterans must submit appropriate documentation as described previously in this vacancy announcement.
If currently employed in the VA system, include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1939339.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.