Providence is calling a Financial Counselor to the Patient Financial Services Department at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, AK.
The Financial Counselor will have direct personal contact with PH&S patients and their families during difficult times and will be responsible for easing their way in the resolution of patient accounts.
In this position you will:
- Interview patients/guarantors to provide information, education and advice options for funding for services provided by PH&S.
- Identify and assist patients/guarantors in obtaining other sponsorship including third party liability, workers compensation, COBRA, government health or other programs, and free or discounted drug programs etc.
- Assist patients/guarantors who may be eligible with qualifying for assistance under PH&S Charity Policies and Procedures and helping them through the application process.
- Work regularly with providers about patient care plans including medication assistance programs, clinic treatment plans and discharge to ensure charity approvals are appropriate based on clinical as well as financial need.
- Make charity determinations within approval limits.
- Follow up with patients/guarantors to discuss resolution of account balances remaining after insurance or other sponsorship/charity approval, including payment plans and discounts under PH&S and ORC discount policies.
- Work proactively with patients/guarantors to resolve account balances, ensuring only those accounts that are truly uncollectible drop to self pay.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Three (3) years experience in Financial Counseling, patient financial services or medical billing in a Hospital Business Office
- Experience in automated/computerized account follow up system(s)
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- College coursework in medical terminology, medical billing or a related medical business field
- Experience with medical and health plan terminology and medical necessity requirements, CPT codes and ICD-10 coding
About Providence Alaska Medical Center
Providence Health & Services Alaska is among nation's best employers for healthy lifestyles! The National Business Group on Health, a non-profit association of large U.S. employers, has honored Providence Alaska for its commitment and dedication to promoting a healthy workplace and encouraging our caregivers (employees) and families to support and maintain healthy lifestyles. Mountain-Pacific Quality Health has awarded Providence Alaska Medical Center with its Quality Achievement Award for high-quality care in the areas of heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical infection prevention. This is the highest honor awarded by Mountain-Pacific.
As the state's largest hospital, Providence Alaska Medical Center provides full-service, comprehensive care to all Alaskans, a role unmatched by any other in the state. Within our community, you will find top notch ski resorts, kayaking, and wildlife. Enjoying the outdoors is just one of many reasons to live in and explore Alaska!
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Patient Services
Req ID: 151663